Monday 6 April 2015

March 30, 2015 -- The Virgin Guadelupe

Well, I am doing fine.

My companion received The Miracle Of Forgiveness in the mail, and I read it. That is a really awesome book. It tells you how it is straight up. I liked it a lot.

I'm very excited about General Conference this week.

Also, can you guess what one of the most exciting things that happened this week was? I had a lesson with the best friend of one of the young women outside the young woman`s house. She accepted baptism, the young woman's mom was super proud and happy to see her daughter preaching, and her brother gave me 40 magic cards immediately afterward. Not only did the second most enjoyable thing for a missionary happen--when a member brings the friend and they accept everything--but one of the favorite Derik things, magic cards, also happened. I was ecstatic! Also, interestingly the friend's mother ended up being a contact we had due to an overwhelming sensation of sickness I had one day which made it so that we had to ask for help at the house where we conveniently met her. It's good to know that God provides the means so that even suffering has a purpose.

I found a turtle that was laying eggs--very cool. Also I did a whole bunch of balloon animals for the primary children as a reward for learning the follow the prophet song. Did you know that song has nine verses and that each one is super long? Wow!

Cesar blessed the sacrament! Yeah!

In other news the members are introducing us to their friends more now. :)

A woman named Leticia Guadalupe is listening to us. She is very, very, very Catholic--like super Catholic. And her husband is creente (believer), which means he believes in God, classifies himself as Catholic, but will not pray, and will not attend a church, but likes to listen. People sure are interesting, don´t you think? The brother is unwilling to do anything, and the sister understands almost nothing, but their son is already baptized. Also, they give us food and want us to keep coming. Leticia does not believe in the virgin Guadalupe, but every single one of her kids has that name as a second name.

Ok, so the Virgin Guadalupe: I really do not know what the heck this is. It is one of those things I am not sure I will ever understand. Basically it is Mary, but Mexican. and very brown. So Catholic churches here have both, María and Guadalupe, in their art pieces that they worship. It is very, very strange. Some of them worship her even though they tell me TO MY FACE they do not believe in her. What the heck is this? I'm pretty sure that this is what the Nephites dealt with a lot when they preached to the Lamanites; they taught them the gospel of God, and they had to leave behind their traditions. This world can be really crazy.

The Paz Martinez family dropped us. The brother says a whole bunch of curses when we come, and the sister cannot take it anymore. The brother reverted to alcohol (and we think drugs too) and the sister doesn´t want us to come any more because of him.

Life goes on, and I have work to do. Until next week.

Saludos, Amor, y Todo que puedo ofrecer a tí,
Salutations, Love, and All that I have to offer you,
Elder Scott







No comments:

Post a Comment