Tuesday 18 November 2014

November 17, 2014 -- The Road Goes On

Well. This week was really relaxing for me. All of my problems have dissipated, more or less. That means I can spend all of my time worrying about how to help other people, which is really very fun.

First, the problem I had with intestinal inflammation. Apparently, I should have had this like the first day, and it is really strange that an American only got this after two months in Mexico. Haha. The flip side story about that is that one of the other elders commanded me to get over it. It worked. And although I found it weird, it just goes to show that miracles can happen and elders can command them, regardless of what kind they need to be.

I do not know if I mentioned this, but some of the members in my branch/ward cannot get my name right. They keep calling me Elder Holland. He is really good at something called planchando (ironing, or reiterating a point in such a way that the importance of said principle of the gospel is not only important but imperative. Many times, this can mean painful.) Apparently I am really good at planchando. One of the members is a mother of 3. She is not married, and after much discussion and reasons that will remain undisclosed, she probably cannot be sealed with her first husband, who died as a result of a terrorist act. Everyone is telling her she needs to search for another spouse who is worthy of her children and with whom she can be sealed for time and all eternity. I brought out various scriptures to try to emphasize the point. They included D+C 88:14-24, the Spanish bible dictionary definition of mother, and other important scriptures: baptism is the doctrine of salvation, sealing is the doctrine of exaltation, etc. I definitely ironed that point in. We are working on doing all that we can for this sister, including getting her a patriarchal blessing. Can you believe that she didn´t want one? I couldn´t fathom it. Crazy. Anyway. I now feel a little bit worthy to be called by his name even though I think it’s funny.

Grandpa sent me an email warning me about cockroaches. I do appreciate the thought. I am very aware of the bug population of my house. Fortunately, I learned that if you keep a pile of refuse outside, all of the bugs stay outside. J I am kidding--our house actually doesn´t have a cockroach problem. The problem is the flies. They are everywhere. Sometimes it looks dark when it is light outside because of the flies. They’re usually not in our house, though. We keep it clean and close everything possible in an effort to prevent infestation.

I do not know what happened with that kid I gave a blessing to, have absolutely no idea. I hope he did all he could. You know? Because it´s glorious.

Rain is great. When it rains, I make sure to thank Heavenly father for the challenge, as well as a lot of the other things that are difficult for missionaries who have to be outside preaching. It isn´t easy, but it is worth it.

Nobody came to church this week. That means the two baptisms we had planned for Thursday have to get pushed back to next week. Tanto.

Talking to people really is very easy; what is hard is ending. I never know the appropriate time to cease a discussion.

My companion and I work with the members a lot. They do absolutely anything we ask them to. I have to say, it pays to work with the members. Getting to know them and helping them with their difficulties is the best part of the day sometimes. One of the sisters who we like a lot got really sick, went to the hospital, and the doctors say she probably lost her baby. I was unaware she was with child before I heard about it. We have been helping them out a lot. The kids accompanied us for lessons, but they all fell through. ´Tis difficult to be a missionary sometimes.

Love you guys,
-Elder Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment